Weatherization is a residential energy efficiency program that reduces energy use. Homeowners and renters may be eligible to receive free services on their home to make it safer, more comfortable and energy efficient.
The Weatherization Program has four steps:
- Submit application with required documents to determine program eligibility.
- A mandatory energy audit of the home is conducted and a work scope is written.
- Highly trained crew will weatherized your home with materials that meet State & Federal Gov. standards
- Home is inspected to assure quality of work completed
About the Audit: The auditor will set an appointment to perform a comprehensive energy audit on the dwelling. The energy audit is used to identify the building’s current energy uses. This information is then studied to determine what measures will be required to provide save, cost-effective energy related repairs to the building.
Services could include any of the following:
- Insulating walls, attics, knee walls, and/or crawl space areas
- Air sealing measures such as weather-stripping and caulking around doors and windows
- Energy saving light bulbs
- Water-efficient shower heads and aerators
- Cleaning, testing and repairs or replacement of heating appliances (including hot water tanks), ventilation systems, and distribution systems
- Replacing existing high energy usage refrigerators with energy star models
- Repair of broken doors and windows (where cost effective)
A building is eligible for weatherization services when at least 50% of the building’s households meet the income eligibility of the program. Single-family homes must be occupied by an eligible family and multi-units must meet the 50% rule (i.e. if there are 3 units in the building, at least 2 out of the 3 must be eligible).
If a household meets income eligibility requirements or contains a member who receives Supplement Security Income (SSI) Public Assistance or Home Energy Assistance Program (HEAP) benefits or Food Stamps, the household is considered automatically eligible for Free Weatherization.
For Renters: If you are income eligible but the landlord is not, please talk to your landlord today to contact us to find out how they can get weatherization for their building at a very low cost or if the Landlord is income eligible they will receive Free Weatherization.
Income Eligibility 2020-2021* Weatherization Income Threshold
|# of Household Members||Gross Monthly Income||Annual Income|
Each additional person per household – $8,960 Annual Income
* Income guidelines change annually.
EmPower provides no-cost energy efficiency solutions to income-eligible New Yorkers. Services offered include:
- Home energy assessment to identify areas of possible energy improvements
- Tips on how to save energy
- Installation of high-efficiency lighting
- Attic and wall insulation
- Replacement of old, inefficient refrigerators and freezers
- Water-saving showerheads
Office Hours 9:00am-3:00pm, Monday – Friday
Contact: Lori Petramale-Ozores
Phone: (845) 338-8750 x112
*We do not handle Emergency Heat issues. Please contact the DSS office (845) 334-5000 or the Ulster County Sheriff Office (845) 338-3640.